Monday, October 1, 2012

We Need Literacy


We Need Literacy

     When I was talking with a friend of mine the other day she said, “There is no reason not to learn. Education is free.” There is no doubt in my mind that she is right. That is more so true today than it has ever been. I'm not a classroom person, but since I can read, I can learn.

     There are 21 million Americans that cannot read at all. That's hard to believe, but I feel confident it is true. More than 40 million Americans cannot read well enough to fill out a job application. Low literacy levels are easily connected to poverty, but Dollar General is doing something to correct that.

     The Dollar General Literacy Foundation is available to help. I found 23 available programs within 25 miles of my home. This means people are helping people.  It crosses my mind that if I couldn't read I probably would not have found this information on the internet. Again, Dollar General helps by providing a phone number, 1-877-38YOURGED. (1-877-389-687433)

     I realize that the phone number suggests that a person will be working toward their GED, but this is America and it is still a free country. Everything you do will be by choice. I've always thought it was fun to learn. We can't all be the best at everything, but we can all share our knowledge.

     Dollar General has 10,000 store in 40 states, 14.8 billion dollars in sales. I read that the founder had a third grade education. That's cool. More of us should be talking about things like the Dollar General Literacy Foundation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment