Tuesday, October 16, 2012

BIM and VDC Software

I read an article tonight about BIM (Building Information Modeling) and VDC (Virtual Design Construction) that left me wondering why the construction industry has been slow to incorporate the construction modeling software into their business as a standard. I have to agree that the cost and the learning curve, which I see as nothing other than cost, are the root of the problem.

There are many corporations that talk about progress and being open minded to new ideas and since I didn't know much about BIM I started to research it. Come to find out we have already used some of the free software from Google, SketchUp, in our business!  We also made reference to Google Sketchup in September when we highlighted the capabilities of 3D printers. I'll admit, we used Sketchup for 2D graphics and I am still learning to use the software after more than a year but that should not deter anyone.

When I went on the search to find construction companies that use the BIM and VDC software I was able to find a few companies that show very impressive results by using the software that has been around for at least three years. It all makes sense. Improved communication of the design, build, and cost would surely streamline any operation. It's a matter of discipline and commitment to implementing the change of routine.

I appeal to two sectors of business, construction and technology. First, construction companies need to be more accepting of technology and recognize that it might actually make the job easier. Second, software companies need to be recognize that their products need to be user friendly and they do have a place in the construction industry.  I realize that these changes will mean companies will incur a cost, but increased revenue appears to be the final result.

Visit Georgianna Hardware Corporation to learn more about the BIM and VDC software that we found.

No comments:

Post a Comment