Friday, July 11, 2014

Men vs. Women?

I am not worried about the fact that women make less money than men. This is an age old argument that I will not be able to solve but I would like to point out that men and women have something in common. We are all human. People seem to forget that.

I have been reading the work of Jackson Katz recently.  He has been studying much of what we have been living since 1988. I thank Mr. Katz for seeing myself and other women as humans.

Jackson Katz focuses his work on the prevention of violence toward women. (You can get a quick Wiki synopsis of his work at this Wikipedia page.)

Here's where I have a complaint. I have noticed that many women seem to not appreciate men being benevolent. I taught my son to be caring, generous and kind but now that he is an adult I've seen more than one woman rudely tell him he doesn't need to bother holding a door because she is “perfectly capable”. Evidently being polite eludes them.

George Washington wrote 110 Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation well over 100 years ago. If you haven't read it, it's a fun read. Seems to me that the first rule applies to every human on the earth. That rule is: Every action done in company ought to be with some sign of respect to those that are present. This rule reflects the “Grandmother Test” I added notes of on the web site some time ago.  You can find it referenced on the Resume Help page.


I believe when virtue and honor are no longer fashionable we will all have more problems than we could wish for our worst enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment