Friday, March 14, 2014

What is an RIN?

Your RIN is your Renewal Identification Number.  When you need to renew your driver's license, you probably need the RIN that is assigned by your state Department of Motor Vehicles.

I received an innocent looking card from the Georgia Department of Driver Services a few weeks ago.  I put it on my desk.  It sat there and I picked it up and glanced at it on occasion and finally I had no choice but to take action. My card didn't have the RIN so I was required to appear in person with four documents that the DDS was willing to accept as identification.

Crap.  I had to dig through the archives to find my certified birth certificate.  Then I had to search through my wallet for my Social Security card.  Finally, I needed proof of my residential address.  I had received the postcard from the DDS at my residence but that wasn't good enough because I needed something better such as a bank statement or utility bill.

Blessings to me because I did not need to bring my marriage certificate nor a divorce decree to prove a name change and since I have always been a US citizens I did not need addition documentation.

I griped and complained through two trips to the DDS.  On my first trip I was told that there was a four hour wait.  Since they were going to close in three I decided to go home!  My second trip was a success after three hours.

To save some time I should have studied up.  I know I created my own problems and you can avoid them by doing your homework!  I wish I had known that I could have visited www.USA.gov to verify all of the information that I needed.  A lot has changed in four years!


No comments:

Post a Comment