Thursday, October 17, 2013

Not Afraid To Have Adversity As a Teacher

We are impressed by Americans throughout the nation and would like to share a story about a friend of ours that refuses to be defeated by adversity in her life.

Our friend, Joann, was forced into retirement after having health problems that left her disabled. In a personal way, my meeting Joann at a neighborhood get-together has always stuck me as odd.

I hadn't lived in my neighborhood very long when I met Joann.  I asked her where she was employed and she responded with the name of the hospital where both of my parents had had their heart surgeries. Her answer took my breath away and I was hit hard by a wave of remembrances. That period of time in my life was nothing other than crazy and was a learning experience for myself and my toddlers. I will never forget telling the children to be especially careful or they would get run over by the hospital staff because the nurses and technicians had the important work of saving lives and come to find out Joann had been one of those people. Though the conversation was a rush of emotion for me, to Joann it was all in a days work!

Things suddenly changed for Joann when she needed to retire.  Stupid health problems. Joann took control, followed doctor's orders and worked to become as healthy as possible. Time passed and she then had to take the advice she had given to others just a few years ago; she looked for positive ways she could influence her situation. Rather than have idle hands, Joann decided to make jewelry. During a visit last week she showed me some of the jewelry she had created.  It is beautiful!  Her hand crafted jewelry is unique and it is certainly above and beyond anything you find in the retail stores.

Now, Joann puts her capable hands to work for a fun purpose and I am proud to invite you to visit Joann's new online shop. We are all sure that you'll be pleased to have the opportunity to see the beautiful pieces of jewelry she has created and we are especially honored to know a great American that has allowed adversity to be a teacher but not the boss.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/YDenyMe?page=1



No comments:

Post a Comment