Thursday, November 7, 2013

Autism, Temple Grandin

Off topic again but I have been thinking about a TED video that I watched last night. My niece recommended a movie that she had watched for school entitled Temple Grandin, Thinking In Pictures My Life With Autism. This is an HBO movie and since my niece was so impressed I searched Google and found a link for a TED video. (I have shared the link below.)

So today I couldn't help but to think about folks that I have known that have a child in their life that has been diagnosed with autism. Maybe it was a friend's child, a niece or nephew, a grandchild or a neighbor's child but for some reason I have been involved in many conversations about autism and as memories kept coming back to me today I was glad that I had taken the twenty minutes to watch the TED video but I was still bothered because I know that there are many folks out there that have huge concern for the well being of a young loved one.

Autism is defined as a disorder of neural development. That's a big pill to swallow when you care about a young person. My involvement in home education probably allowed more time for conversations about autism as home education is a decent alternative to public education but all the conversations in the world won't cure a child of autism.

My teenage children laugh at me for having obsessive-compulsive disorder in which sufferers commonly have personality traits such as high attention to detail, avoidance of risk and a tendency to take time in making decisions. Yep, that's me and as I write this I catch myself smiling. For the first ten years of my children's lives I blamed it all on the cat by telling them that the cat found it to be annoying when the house was a mess.

Both diagnosable problems use the word disorder. There are plenty of other disorders too. Wikipedia has a whole list. I don't believe that my wanting a clean house and a happy cat was abnormal and I do not believe that children diagnosed with autism are abnormal.  I've always believed that autistic children were just wired differently. Temple Grandin showed us the proof in her TED lecture. 

Please take the time to watch the video.  You'll have a new perspective tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment